Objectives of the Union
In harmony with its continuous strive to position itself to be the Union of Choice in the public sector in Botswana, BOPEU pursues the following aims and objectives:
- To represent employees on labour matters which include negotiation, collective bargaining, enforcement of collective agreements, health and safety standards and safeguarding human rights
- To organize workers, sign in new members and represent employees in the public sector
- To bring about improvements in the wages and working conditions of the membership, including the right of equal pay for work of equal value
- To promote and defend the right to strike
- To promote full employment and an equitable distribution of wealth within Botswana society
- To cooperate with other labour unions and other organizations with similar objectives in strengthening the Botswana labour movement as a means towards advancing the interests and improving the well-being of workers locally, regionally and internationally
- To promote justice, equality and efficiency in services to the public
- To strengthen by precept and example democratic principles and practices both in the Botswana labour movement and in all kind of institutions, organizations locally and internationally and the government of Botswana.
- To perform such acts as are conducive to the attainment of these objectives.